Forums / Gun Discussion / SIG GSR 1911 revolution on the way

3 years 13 weeks ago, 7:19 PM

hot_diggity87

hot_diggity87's picture

Colonel

Stopped by the gun barn today looking for a .308 AR when i looked down and something purdy caught my eye. the sig 1911 gsr revolution. needless to say i needed to get out of there as soon as possible to changed my drawers. but i toughed it out, and slapped a down payment on it. now since I'll be a 1911 owner in a month or so, i bring to you a question. are all 1911 mags interchangable? if so is there any recommended brand of mag you suggest?

I'm not home officer, take me drunk!
3 years 13 weeks ago, 7:31 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
sounds awesome h_d

I really don't know about the sig and mags. If I find out I'll let ya know.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
3 years 13 weeks ago, 8:06 PM

hot_diggity87

hot_diggity87's picture

Colonel

thanks vaq appreciate it.

also curious, when i do get it, does anyone recommend any upgrades or anything? im a newb to 1911's. I'm assuming ISD has some knowledge in this department.

_edit_ or is there any replacement parts i should keep on hand? any parts that wear quick on 1911's?

3 years 13 weeks ago, 5:38 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury

_edit_ or is there any replacement parts i should keep on hand?

might i suggest a G36 as a possible replacement part for a 1911......

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
3 years 13 weeks ago, 5:55 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
Yep

He's back. All good.

3 years 13 weeks ago, 8:14 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army

is way beyond me, but, what I do is keep the slide, bushing and ramp lubed. Works well so far.
Sig aint likely to use parts from the olden days if improvements in materials and manufacturing have proven more dependable. Spare parts for me would be extra mags.
Enjoy and give us a range report when you can, (please)

3 years 13 weeks ago, 8:26 PM

hot_diggity87

hot_diggity87's picture

Colonel
will do vaq

no doubt, I'll get pics of the targets and everything... hell i still have to load pics of my 3 new guns and range reports on them haha. although I've not had much time to shoot lately, this spring/summer will bring around some good fun for shooting.

3 years 13 weeks ago, 9:12 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
HD87

You go from a .308 AR to a 1911? Sounds familiar. You'll dig the pistol though. I'm not sure about the trigger on the GSR, but it can't be that bad. Even bad 1911 triggers are better than most auto triggers... but if you're inclined, you can make them super nice. That's one of the few things I would look at doing. I believe it should already come with night sights. I would check to ensure proper feeding of JHP's. If you have any trouble a little polishing of the feed ramp may be in order. Remember, you'll most likely have to break it in a bit. Lots of 1911's experience failures here and there for the first couple hundred rounds. After that, just keep that thing dripping wet and it will run fine. Most mags will work fine. I prefer Wilson and Chip McCormick mags.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 13 weeks ago, 9:25 PM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
1911 mags...

I perfer Wilson Combat... From the Sig 19111's I've seen and shot, you prob won't need to do anything. However, no manufacturer is perfect.

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
3 years 13 weeks ago, 9:39 PM

hot_diggity87

hot_diggity87's picture

Colonel
reaper and ronin

yeah, I couldnt help myself, when im in the gun barn im like a kid in a candy store. i smudge my hands all over the glass cabinets and everything, when i seen the 1911 i even put my face up against it, drooled a bit, and left tongue smears all over it.

thanks both of ya for input. will look for mags immediately

3 years 13 weeks ago, 11:01 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
HotD

what gen is the GSR?

1 st gen's had some feed issues, but once sent back they came back fully functional and flawless.

after that ever one of the Sig 1911's are very sweet tack drivers. You shouldn't need anything for it, except I would consider picking up a factory weight recoil spring. Not sure on the life of it but I know that it will be the only thing that will give you any issues and having one for that time will keep you smiling.

The Sig factory mags should be fine, but as pointed out, CM Power mags and the Springfield Stainless are the ones I would go with. Cost less and just as good if not better. Lower cost with solid quality is key to any Firearm or Parts for one when trying to get your bang for buck in balance.

Don't buy cheap mags, they might work ok at first and then when you need it to work it could fail you badly.

Mags interchangeable? Yes and No.... Yes all mags will fit into a compact 1911, no Compact 1911 mags will not fit in a full size 1911.

hehehe...

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 13 weeks ago, 12:48 PM

hot_diggity87

hot_diggity87's picture

Colonel
ISD

first generation, was told sig only made one generation of the revolution. not sure how accurate that info is. no rail on it, although i think it would be a funny conversation piece with a scope mount on it with a huge scope haha... ew.

thanks ISD, will order a recoil spring or two after I get it to keep on hand just incase.

3 years 13 weeks ago, 8:04 PM

daisycutter

daisycutter's picture

General

Bunches of U.S. Gvmnt 1911's and several of my own.

Any parts prone to break/wear out? Nope, unless it is peculiar to SIG.
After your first many 100's of rounds the bbl bushing MAY get a little loose, that'll take a long time.

Follow the owner's manuel for cleaning & maint. the gun will outlast you :<)

Magazines? Any mag that is sturdy will do. For me, I don't see a need for buying a full race, chrome plated, pin stripped, engraved and upholstered magazine when GI issue will perform just as reliably and cheaper. If you're like me and like having lots of spares GI is the affordable way, look for them @ gun shows & on-line. I've never had a failure with one that was not obviously damaged by being dropped.

At one time there were magazines imported from somewhere in Asia, cheap sheetmetal. You could deform the lips with your fingers, not seen any of those for ages but just in case...Avoid.

Your SIG should work like a fine Swiss watch straight out of the box.

If you decide to shoot SWC bullets you may need a little work done by A QUALIFIED gunsmith. Ya don't want some shadetree "gunsmith" taking a grinder to your nice 1911 :<) I said MAY need, check it out b4 hand.

I thoroughly enjoy my 1911 and know you'll get a lifetime of enjoyment from yours! Congratulations!

iyaoyas
3 years 13 weeks ago, 8:15 PM

hot_diggity87

hot_diggity87's picture

Colonel
thanks DC

thanks for the info

3 years 8 weeks ago, 5:03 PM

Eric1911

Eric1911's picture

Major
1911 mags

I've only purchased $20 mags never had a problem

3 years 8 weeks ago, 8:10 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
Mags

Eric1911 wrote:
I've only purchased $20 mags never had a problem

I have purchased mags ranging in price from $5 to $30 and only had problems with two of them: one of the cheap ones (a chrome no name) and the most expensive one (a Chip McCormick), both of which were easily rectified. I've never had any problems with mags not interchanging, much like AR-15's every manufacture is very, very close. You shouldn't have any problems.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 3:51 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

Secretary of Homeland Security
magazines..

1911 mags are one of the few WWII era items that hasn't gone thru the roof at shows..and still possible to buy original GI magazines for both the 1911, and AR's cheap.. I haven't seen that many GI original 30's for AR's, but then again not something at the top of my list, so could have triped over them. do know that most of the 30's i see are aftermarket.. and might well be better..

brings up a question, i know in the past that the "green follower" mags seemed to get the most attention, but not sure if that was based on them being good stuff, original or what.. AR gurus pls advise.

1911 origina GI mags are great, and if you can find the two toned ones very rare.. believe these were all pre war, but should you find them they command hi bucks in original state.. Standard GI mags are one of the best WWII items still cheap enough to be a good investment.. Same thing with the original web pouches they sometimes come packed with.. I've never had a problem with the magazines themselfs, ie having one that needed feed lips adjustment out of the wrapper..

a man has to hold his word, hold his beliefs, and hold a good sight picture.
3 years 8 weeks ago, 7:36 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
WWII Mags

I actually have a couple of WWII issued mags for my Commander style 1911. What's great is this: They're Colt mags, even have the horse stamped on the bottom, but they fit PERFECTLY in my Springfield gun.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1046 (0 members and 1046 guests)

Users Active within the last 24 hours
DEMO, LLE, captmax, tallguy007, jpdental, jf.chandler sr., Pa Pa Tom, teko52
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,761, Comments: 162,538, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity