Forums / Gun Discussion / SIg Sauer P226 ENHANCED ELITE 9mm Gettin One Soon

3 years 45 weeks ago, 4:42 PM

HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50's picture

Captain

I did my homework, shopped some prices. It's official, this is my next Pistol. Anyone have one and can tell me about your experience with yours? Mine will be the 9mm. I already have a Springfield Armory, 1911A1, caliber 45. A Walther PK380, W/ Laser. I will probably be starting a Security Officer job soon, (I hope). Waiting to hear about that. It will be a great weapon for the job.

3 years 44 weeks ago, 9:14 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
HAWKEYE50

I have the 226 elite in .40S&W. I believe the only difference with the enhanced elite is the grips. Its real smooth to shoot, especially for a .40. The SRT (Short reset trigger) is my favorite aspect of the gun. Solid choice.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 44 weeks ago, 9:31 AM

HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50's picture

Captain

I have, I guess, medium sized hands. My 1911 fits good. Do you think the smaller grip size is worth the price?

3 years 44 weeks ago, 10:31 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
HAWKEYE50

The P226 will obviously be wider than your 1911 because your 1911 is single stack, and the sig is double stack. The regular elite wood grips are pretty fat. I happen to like them, but if you're used to the thin 1911, I would imagine they will feel awkward to you at first. The E2 grips on the enhanced will be thinner. I assume you're interested in the elite/enhanced elite because you want the dove tail, SRT trigger and factory night sights etc.... otherwise you could go with the regular P226 9x19 or P226 E2 9x19 and save money. I happen to like the factory grips on the P226. Sorry for rambling, but my point is, don't get the enhanced elite just because you want the E2 grips. Make sure you really want the other extras that come on the elite pistols. Have you held any models with E2 grips?

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 44 weeks ago, 12:10 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

Reaper is spot on about the E2 grip.... I have small hands for a guy and I found the E2 too small for even my hands. You might also consider getting it is .40 and picking up a conversion barrel 40 to 9 so you have more options with it...

Sig Sauer P226 9MM Conv. Interchangeable with 40 S&W $150.00
http://www.efkfiredragon.com/proddetail.php?prod=SS2269SBC

Then you have the option and can also do 357 sig if you ever want to.

Don't limit yourself to the 9 mm requirement for armed security if you can avoid it...

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 44 weeks ago, 2:45 PM

HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50's picture

Captain
Sig 226 Enhanced Elite

I will be going on Friday to handle both the 226, and the 226 Enhanced Elite. The smoother trigger is one of the points I am interested in. The Enhanced Elite has a new grip type, a one piece wrap around. The other point I like about it IS the beavertail. My 1911A1, as everyone knows, does have the beavertail, and it fits well. I guess I will feel the difference on Friday. As for the 40 cal., or 9mm, please elaborate. I have little experience with either caliber. Is there much difference? I know there have been many debates on which is better. Please give me your opinions. Thank You.

3 years 44 weeks ago, 7:53 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50 wrote:
The Enhanced Elite has a new grip type, a one piece wrap around.

We know. That is the E2 we are talking about. The P226 is offered with the E2 grip without all the other elite upgrades as well

3 years 44 weeks ago, 5:27 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

The .40 is a fantastic round, Federal has a 135 grain $0 almost reaching Sig 357 speeds that was put together for Customs. That is one of the rounds I would have in my mag along with Corbon, Winchester Ranger or PDX1 Bonded, TAP, HST or a number of other rounds.

The reason I mentioned getting a .40 is that it would allow you to have three handguns in one.

With a 226 .40 you can get both a 9 mm Barrel and mags to use in the same frame. You can also get a 357 barrel and use the 40 mags in the same frame...

So you have a more expanded choice of what round you feel like carrying.

In Florida, armed Security (Class G license) you are limited to a 9 mm semi auto or a 38 revolver by law. Which is rather retarded in my personal opinion.

With the 9 mm your stuck having to purchase a whole upper if you wish to change to another caliber....

On a personal note, I cut the top of my right arm to the bone in two places all the way across it causing need for reattachment of the muscle and tendons, also the same thing with the back of my right hand. I almost bleed out and they gave me blood three different times, giving me Hep C which caused me to get a Liver Transplant 3 years ago. So I'm still working on getting back into my previous physical condition. When I feel I can trust myself to carrying a .40 without my hand opening up on it's own during sustained fire I'll carry the .40.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 44 weeks ago, 5:25 PM

Mark3030

Mark3030's picture

Lieutenant General
isd

I agree the Florida law sucks. Here's another dumb law in Minnesota for deer hunting side arm minimum is a 40.cal but in Wis you can carry a 22.cal for a side arm. my reg carry is a 40.cal 180gr PD ammo

"the thrill of the hunt"
3 years 44 weeks ago, 5:32 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Mark

Gold DOT?

There are some real odd thoughts behind some of the Laws set by people which have never even held a gun beyond looking at one in the magazine they are holding....

3 years 44 weeks ago, 5:38 PM

Mark3030

Mark3030's picture

Lieutenant General
Isd

yes , yeah it strange how they come up with these laws they hardly make sense, you didn't ask why the heavy 180 gr wow ! most do

"the thrill of the hunt"
3 years 44 weeks ago, 5:58 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

lol

Hell the round is great, but that triple retention holster can get the person using it killed. First thing we mention to the guys is to take a dremel and a sanding wheel to it so it breaks free smoother...

3 years 44 weeks ago, 6:10 PM

Mark3030

Mark3030's picture

Lieutenant General
isd

good advice I had to figure it out on my own but it only took a few minutes

"the thrill of the hunt"
3 years 44 weeks ago, 6:43 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Mark

Like the first time you slipped it in and tried to slip it out?

ya'll carrying the Glock 22?

3 years 44 weeks ago, 11:24 PM

HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50's picture

Captain
Maybe Not The Enhanced

You guy's are great. You gave me much to think about. I also read opinions on other sites,about the differences between the Elite, Enhanced Elite, E2, and the Stock 226. A few posters wrote of the difficulty keeping their thumb on the hammer while they are re holstering with a Beaver Tail, Since my first pistol was my 1911A1, I guess I just got used to it being there. My second pistol, my PK380 doesn't have it. Sometimes if you are not made aware of a small problem, it doesn't get noticed. My Sig will not have the Tail. Second, the Short Reset Trigger, I think I would like that feature. Back to the 1911A1, being a Single Action, I have always liked the action of this. My Pk380 is DA/SA. This is my first experience with a DA. What a difference that is compared to a SA. I am much more accurate with the second shot, unless I cock the hammer first. It now comes down to how it feels, and fits in my hand. I am down to the E2 or the stock 226, with the SRT installed as an after market fix. I am still leaning towards the 9mm. I really enjoy shooting my .380. This one I have only had a short while. And I like how fast I can get back on target due to the reduction in Recoil. It' just fun to shoot. I studied the Ballistic Charts extensively and didn't see any major differences. I am aware I probably just offended some with that statement. Sorry, didn't mean too. In a defensive situation, I feel getting back on target as quick as possible is more important. I have shot my .45, for 10 years,and went through few thousand rounds. The caliber is a done deal for my Sig. If I do my part, the caliber isn't going to be an issue. Thanks for all your help. I welcome your in site.

3 years 44 weeks ago, 9:55 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
HAWKEYE50

All of the P226 models you mentioned are DA/SA. If you want the trigger to be consistent every time, they have a DAK model.

3 years 44 weeks ago, 10:30 AM

HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50's picture

Captain

I know this. You missed my point, I want the improved trigger. Not the DAK.

3 years 44 weeks ago, 11:02 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
got it

the SRT is nice

3 years 44 weeks ago, 11:14 AM

HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50's picture

Captain

When I carried my 1911, I did not carry it cocked, I trained myself to cock it as I pulled it from my holster. It felt right. My thumb always found it's way to the hammer, naturally. However to un-cock the weapon, the tail was in the way. The De-cock feature will be nice. And as I stated previously, my Sig won't have the tail. I can't wait to try one in my hand tomorrow.

3 years 44 weeks ago, 8:24 AM

DollPartzz

DollPartzz's picture

Major General
Sig P226

My mom just bought one yesterday in 40cal she paid a little over $700. Ill let ya know how she likes it when she shoots it and I shoot it!!

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”-Albert Einstein
3 years 44 weeks ago, 3:52 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
DollPartzz

Something for your mom and you to consider are adding the Hogue Finger Grooves Rubber Grips to the 226. These actually will give you more surface area for your grip. I've small hands and it helps keep a solid constant grip. Not everyone likes them, my brother has huge mitts for hands and his 226 all but disappears in his two handed grip so he doesn't really care for them.

A good soild investment for shooters with damp hands and or small hands... $ 24.95 per set

Below is a link to a description and picture....
http://www.grips4guns.com/pistol/sig/item_2100303.html

3 years 43 weeks ago, 11:16 AM

HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50's picture

Captain
Close this Topic

I have decided not to buy the Sig. Since I will be purchasing a Ballistic Vest instead. My 1911A1 will be my Duty Weapon. Due to budget constraints, a vest will be the next purchase I make. If anyone has a III-A vest for sale, let me know. Thanks for all of your input, and advise. Thanks for your help.

3 years 43 weeks ago, 3:12 PM

TXLUCKYGUY

TXLUCKYGUY's picture

Major General
PM me

send me a PM, a local dealer has a great deal on IIIA vests (not certain what type/brand).

3 years 42 weeks ago, 12:28 PM

RETIRE-IN-ARIZONA

RETIRE-IN-ARIZONA's picture

Colonel
SIG SAUER 22 LR

Sig is suppose to have a new 1911 22lr out soon. Was told it is a rebranded GSG 1911!!!

3 years 42 weeks ago, 8:28 AM

HecklerKoch45

HecklerKoch45's picture

Colonel

If you want a single stack sig that feels closest to your 1911, I would go with either the Sig P220 in .45acp(bigger bullet=more knock down power), or the P239 in .40 S&W for Ishootdailys reasoning about switching calibers. I personally think that the P220 would be an excellent choice as I like the 45acp round. I think its got the most power to it, and has less recoil than the higher pressure .40 S&W round. The P220 is a single stack so the grip is closer to that of your 1911. I dont like the way the Enhanced Elite looks. I think it looks rediculous. The P239 is another single stack option from sig and as stated if you go with the .40 you can switch to 9 or 357 sig if you decide to. Or if you just wanted 9mm you could also try a P225/P6. They are also single stacked 8 round mags 9mm. You can find the P225 new in some places for 700-800 with night sights. The P6 is the police trade in from german police and is used but they refurbish them I believe. They can be had from anywhere from 300-400 usually sometimes people will charge more. All are excellent choices.

~Sig Sauer 516 Patrol 5.56 NATO~HK45 .45 ACP~HK45c .45 ACP~HK P30L 9mm~HK P30 .40 S&W~W. German Sig Sauer P220 .45 ACP~Walther P22~
3 years 42 weeks ago, 8:53 AM

fixxer72

fixxer72's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
HAWKEYE50

Hey how do you like your PK380? Bought one for my wife and she loves it. Put a Viridian green laser sight on it for her. Thats her night stand gun.

3 years 42 weeks ago, 1:48 PM

HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50's picture

Captain
PK380

My wife isn't into shooting at all. However, she likes how it feels, how the trigger is manageable in DA. When it warms up outside, I will get her to shoot it some. She DEFINITELY, did not like my 1911. I purchased the factory red laser with it too. She has a problem with the sights on a handgun, and by using the laser, it eliminates that problem completely. Turn on the laser, point and shoot until they quit moving. That is of course, if you are moving at all after our 4 dogs are done with you. I'm putting my money on the dogs. I love the PK380 myself, and look forward to carrying it when my CPL clears. So much lighter than my 1911.

3 years 42 weeks ago, 7:35 AM

RETIRE-IN-ARIZONA

RETIRE-IN-ARIZONA's picture

Colonel
SIG SAUERS

Very nice, Any model.

3 years 37 weeks ago, 12:40 PM

Joedaddy40

Joedaddy40's picture

Private First Class

Go with the 40 man. You get the best of both worlds. A bigger round with higher velocity. But either one will work fine if you train with it.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1144 (0 members and 1144 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,687, Comments: 161,591, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity