Forums / Gun Discussion / Smith & Wesson 500

3 years 8 weeks ago, 10:02 AM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel
Smith & Wesson 500

Has anyone shot a Smith & Wesson 500 before? I hadn't got the chance yet to shoot one, and I know that they shoot a .50 caliber round. I just want to get a idea what kind of kick/recoil we're talking bout here.

Always keep your powder dry, and your eyes on the target.
3 years 8 weeks ago, 10:20 AM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

Wear a football helmet!!!

Too old to fight, Too old to run, guess that's why I carry a gun! "would someone show this asshole the way out of town".[Rabbi Avram Belinski-aka "The Frisco Kid"]
3 years 8 weeks ago, 10:22 AM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel
Football helmet?

Is the recoil that bad?

3 years 8 weeks ago, 11:33 PM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

only if you wished to avoid giving yourself a pre-frontal lobotomy.

Too old to fight, Too old to run, guess that's why I carry a gun! "would someone show this asshole the way out of town".[Rabbi Avram Belinski-aka "The Frisco Kid"]
3 years 8 weeks ago, 8:33 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
.500 S&W

I've shot one, belongs to a friend of mine from the academy. The recoil on a full strength .500 load is insane, not like skull splitting, at least not in my experience, but pretty close. I would compare it to shooting a TC Contender in a rifle caliber. My friend now loads his own, partly to reduce recoil and partly because he couldn't afford factory ammo AND gas for his car, and loads them to about the output of a .44 Magnum or a .454 Casull (depending on if he's shooting for fun or hunting) and is very happy with his gun. Just my two cents.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 10:32 AM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel
RE .500 S&W

I know that the ammo is expensive. At my local pistol range, they offer a Smith & Wesson 500 for rent, and the ammo is a dollar a round, and it's fricking hand cannon. I hadn't the chance to shoot it yet, but I think it would be fun to shoot it to say I have. I wouldn't know how a TC Contender fires.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 11:20 AM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

Although it yielded a substantial recoil, it could not IMO, compare with the 500. Although I was trying to be humerous, above, I would say it is partially a function of what you are expecting in the way of the violence of the recoil. I suppose if you observed an experienced large caliber revolver shooter touching off several rounds, using good shooting mechanics techniques, you might convince yourself, it "should not be too bad". But I would definitely try to work my way up, and even watch some film clips on youtube. I think a good start would be a 44 mag., and I am not joking about safety precautions for the front of your head bone.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 6:03 PM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel
RE TC

I don't doubt that the 500 has a serious kick. I don't joke about shooting and the safety aspects of it either. Shooting guns is dangerous but fun at the same time as long you know what your doing. I had several years of gun training, and majorly of that came in the military, and I don't joke when it comes to this kind of stuff. It's always been of dream of mine to shoot a Smith & Wesson 500, and I never had the chance to do it, but, I don't have the money to do it. I used to go shooting almost every weekend.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 4:22 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

us when it comes to firearms safety...

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 8 weeks ago, 6:06 PM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel
RE TC

I seen plenty of Youtube videos of The S&W 500. They don't it any justice for actual shooting of the weapon. I just want to go shoot the damn thing.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 4:20 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

It left a nice crease above his left eye when the pistol ripped out of his left hand and flipped back.

I've shot allot of large Caliber Handguns, .45 Wildey magnum, 475 Wildey Magnum, 454, 44 Auto Mag and such. Most of your Automatic's are actually designed with gas systems to bleed off some of the recoil so it isn't really an issue.

But the .500 revolvers, that is a different critter. I won't touch one that is not compensated. Not much into beating the crap out of my wrist or my face...

lol

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 8 weeks ago, 11:08 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
Question

Ishootdaily wrote:
It left a nice crease above his left eye when the pistol ripped out of his left hand and flipped back.

I've shot allot of large Caliber Handguns, .45 Wildey magnum, 475 Wildey Magnum, 454, 44 Auto Mag and such. Most of your Automatic's are actually designed with gas systems to bleed off some of the recoil so it isn't really an issue.

But the .500 revolvers, that is a different critter. I won't touch one that is not compensated. Not much into beating the crap out of my wrist or my face...

lol

Was he bald? Like shaved head, not bald by nature. Because my friend lives in Manatee County.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 6:09 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

Secretary of Homeland Security
gunslinger.

On the 10 MM thing.. wouldn't worry much about parts availabiltiy on the Colt.. only diff is going to be bbl, and extractor, and i'm not sure about the extractor.. all the "wear out" parts ie; reciever group, etc are common to all.. Magazine follower "might" be diffrent, but prob'ly same as the 38 super. One of the nice things about "ALL" 1911's .. they just don't wear out..

a man has to hold his word, hold his beliefs, and hold a good sight picture.
3 years 8 weeks ago, 6:13 PM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel
greg az

That's what I heard, and I know the 1911s don't just "wear out". The 1911s been around for hundred years and something working right so far!

3 years 8 weeks ago, 4:27 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

Gunslinger_USA wrote:
Has anyone shot a Smith & Wesson 500 before? I hadn't got the chance yet to shoot one, and I know that they shoot a .50 caliber round. I just want to get a idea what kind of kick/recoil we're talking bout here.

Shooting Mechanics is key to shooting anything and will dictate the shooters perception of felt recoil and how a weapon respond to any specific round being fired. I know that sounds rather acedemic, but it is the answer to the question.

I'm not that big of a guy but I won't refuse to shoot anything, except an un-ported .500 S&W.

If you haven't shot a .454 casual with Deer Loads in it, try that out first. The recoil will not be that much different/

3 years 8 weeks ago, 4:43 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

ask any Marine who has picked up an Issue 1911 back in the 60's if a 1911 doesn't wear out. LOL

Give er a shake and it sounds like your shaking bag full of wrenchs. lol

But, that said, it will still shoot and it might be dead on at that.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 9:55 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
1911 part 2

Ishootdaily wrote:
ask any Marine who has picked up an Issue 1911 back in the 60's if a 1911 doesn't wear out. LOL

Give er a shake and it sounds like your shaking bag full of wrenchs. lol

But, that said, it will still shoot and it might be dead on at that.

After 2 world wars, 2 regular wars, an island invasion, and a cold war it still goes bang and the bad guys still go bye bye. I'll stick to the tried and true, thanks.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 11:26 AM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel

Yup, that's what I'm saying. After a hundred years, the 1911 doesn't need any more improvement. If ain't broke, don't fix it.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 5:55 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
EXACTLY!

Gunslinger_USA wrote:
Yup, that's what I'm saying. After a hundred years, the 1911 doesn't need any more improvement. If ain't broke, don't fix it.

The man knows his stuff!

3 years 8 weeks ago, 9:42 PM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel
MattyTheJet

Well, it's the truth! It doesn't make any sense to fix something that's been working for hundred years, and 1911 has proven it self after countless years in service, and I think the gun itself hasn't chance that much over the hundred years, and I never had a problem when I shot the 1911 myself. It rarely jams, and you can put a thousand of rounds through it.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 8:37 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
A Century

Gunslinger_USA wrote:
Well, it's the truth! It doesn't make any sense to fix something that's been working for hundred years, and 1911 has proven it self after countless years in service, and I think the gun itself hasn't chance that much over the hundred years, and I never had a problem when I shot the 1911 myself. It rarely jams, and you can put a thousand of rounds through it.

Over a century now, actually, and still the weapon professional soldiers and tactical police use more than any other. There's got to be a reason for that.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 3:00 PM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel
MattyTheJet

Yup, and I went on base today, and the security guard was carrying a 1911, and I knew it was a 1911 cause, it had the grip style of a 1911 and the slide was 1911. You can't miss those iconic style of a 1911. All the 1911s I seen have same checkerboard patten grip, and iconic slide with the grip on the the rear of the slide.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 4:31 PM

Eric1911

Eric1911's picture

Major

I agree with you the only thing I would ask for to improve the 1911 is more manufacturers making double stack magazines, the only one I know of is llama

3 years 7 weeks ago, 8:48 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
Double Stack 1911's

Eric1911 wrote:
I agree with you the only thing I would ask for to improve the 1911 is more manufacturers making double stack magazines, the only one I know of is llama

Rock Island makes one, Para-Ordanance makes one too.

3 years 7 weeks ago, 10:22 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Para

is the one who started the double stack 1911. It is a good pistol though not so good for someone with small hands.

I know where a guy has a P14 LDA Stainless Limited with 8 Stainless Mag's for $700.00 for sale.

RIA 1911's are made from MIM parts and if you get a decent one, then you got lucky. I've picked up and checked out everyone that has come into the shop and not one seems to be fit correctly.

If you lock the slide back and take a look at the muzzle of the barrel where the bushing scores it you will find that it is no where even. Most of them show wear starting at 11:00 down around to 5:00 meaning it is being pushed down and left, it also means that it will get worse with shooting.

The Hammers do not hit the firing pin dead center but off to one side of the other, meaning it is going to wear goofy and possibly lead to problems.

They are not made by Metropolitan which makes the American Classic line of pistols. STI has/had a contract with a company to make its Spartan 1911 down there. I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure Metropolitan is the ones who made them.

As I said, if you got a decent RIA you got lucky. There is no comparison between the two products though.

3 years 7 weeks ago, 11:14 AM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel
Ishootdaily

That's why I prefer the original Colt 1911. The one that started it all.

3 years 7 weeks ago, 5:51 PM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel

My friend doesn't seem to understand of ballistics of firearms. He says that a .22 round isn't larger or powerful enough to kill you at point blank range. I'm like "Yes, a .22 round can kill you. It travels like 1,000 feet per second, and at the speed it's lethal. And it would turn your brain into mush if you put the end of your barrel against your skull."

3 years 7 weeks ago, 7:27 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
Cadavers

Gunslinger_USA wrote:
My friend doesn't seem to understand of ballistics of firearms. He says that a .22 round isn't larger or powerful enough to kill you at point blank range. I'm like "Yes, a .22 round can kill you. It travels like 1,000 feet per second, and at the speed it's lethal. And it would turn your brain into mush if you put the end of your barrel against your skull."

I think I need to show your friend around the morgue, let him see what a .22 does inside the human body when it starts bouncing around and doing the happy dance in there. More people are killed in self defense shootings every year with the "too small" .22 Long Rifle than any other caliber.

And, lest we forget, the .22 magnum will go through a ballistic vest. Too small?

3 years 7 weeks ago, 9:52 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
a ported 500 yes

But i get enough kick from my ruger 44 for my liking.i hve shot most other big cartridges too,porting definately helps.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
3 years 7 weeks ago, 9:51 AM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel
Thank You MattyTheJet

Thank you MattyTheJet. My other friends agree with me that a little, .22 round can kill you at point blank range. Hell, any caliber can kill at point blank range.

3 years 7 weeks ago, 10:34 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
NP

Glad I could help educate your friend. If you need further proof I'm sure I can come up with some pics that'll prove our shared point.

3 years 7 weeks ago, 1:08 PM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel
MattyTheJet

Oh, my God. I show my friend this post, and he still doesn't believe this. He's soo thick headed sometimes.

3 years 7 weeks ago, 12:53 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
Well

Gunslinger_USA wrote:
Oh, my God. I show my friend this post, and he still doesn't believe this. He's soo thick headed sometimes.

I can break out the pics, that might be the only way to show him.

3 years 7 weeks ago, 12:19 PM

Gunslinger_USA

Gunslinger_USA's picture

Colonel
MattyTheJet

Do it, and then maybe he believe this.

3 years 7 weeks ago, 7:57 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
10-4

Gunslinger_USA wrote:
Do it, and then maybe he believe this.

Just tell him not to see these pics before lunch. I'll find a few and post them up.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 874 (0 members and 874 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,760, Comments: 162,527, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity