Forums / Political & Legal / So what does this whole 234 year old thing mean anyway..

4 years 41 weeks ago, 12:36 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

Secretary of Homeland Security

First off to the geezers out there who remember the 200th celebration in 1976.. Go wipe the drool from your chin, and try to remember what you were doing so you can come back and read this.. Course there's no guarantee i will remember what my thoughts were, so you might not be missing anything should you forget..

Have ya all seen the great Bud light commercial .. "who's the Benjamin".. Pretty funny, and there's a little more to it if you watch, and try to pick up the founding fathers, it gets funnier every time i watch it, course i might be prejudice cause how can you not like the product..

What happened in the two years leading up to the spring, and summer of 76 was pretty amazing, a group of people who had an (i love this part) Idea of a Nation, that had to have been inspired by God.. and Yep i know they weren't all 100% Christian, I've read a lot about thier individual beliefs.. They were however deep believers in God, and all that Christianity really stands for.. The love and respect for your fellow man, and humility before God alone..

How amazing that they all .. sorry i have to do this.. ALL of them felt so strongly about the issue, had so much confidence in being RIGHT about those beliefs that they put thier lifes and fortunes (the founding fathers had the most to lose financially) on the line to do what was right..

I think we should all reflect on how much late night oil burning, brainstorming, and sheer FUCKING (sorry father) GENIOUS went into the declaration, and the constitution.. I'm starting to get all teary eyed thinking about how brilliant they were, and how much they sacrificed to make it work..

We were blessed guys, from the very beginning.. There is just no other way to say it.. So if you don't mind ..(or fucking do, cause the founding fathers would have had absolutely NO respect for wimps who worried about being politicly correct) ..I'm going to post a short pray on the subject..

Dear Lord.. Thank you so very much for inspiring the founding fathers, and for guiding them to create what has to be your divinely inspired form of freedom.. Thank you for those who protected and gave thier life to preserve that freedom, and for guiding us all to always honor those who have created, and then preserved what you inspired 234 years ago... Amen

a man has to hold his word, hold his beliefs, and hold a good sight picture.
4 years 41 weeks ago, 2:13 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
Padre Greg - Amen

I remember 1976, I also remember going to San Francisco to observe Calif's, when it was a good place, 100th Anniv in 1949 and got to see Hopalong Cassidy (William Boyd) riding that beautiful white horse down the street. Fuck I am old.... drool drool.

Happy 4th everyone...

4 years 41 weeks ago, 2:17 PM

zx12rmike

zx12rmike's picture

President Pro Temp

Amen greg. I was signing up for the Navy and very proud for it to be during a bicentennial year.
Happy 4th everyone and remember the soldiers out there TODAY!!

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home" Thomas Jefferson
4 years 41 weeks ago, 3:01 PM

catfish88

catfish88's picture

General

Well, I was just being born that year.....not to make you feel any older.

4 years 41 weeks ago, 6:56 PM

ivantank

ivantank's picture

General

last nite...no fireworks but everybody brought firearms...1976 was a good year for me..as far as the age thing somebody once told me " don't worry about old age, it never last"...

I have reasons for the things I do, just don't expect them to be reasonable
4 years 41 weeks ago, 11:28 PM

Anonymous

we had a good 4th despite the gas running out on the BBQ.shish kabobs can be cooked in the oven!shot off a few fireworks for the kids,put a movie on for them with popcorn and all the fixins.wife went out with a friend to have a drink and i am gonna go park my ass in the jacuzzi tub and read The Art Of War (Sun Tzu).rendezvous was great this year.wife and kids are hooked so now maybe the wife will sew up some era correct clothing and i may just have to invest in some black powder weapons...

4 years 41 weeks ago, 1:55 AM

greg az

greg az's picture

Good to hear from you again, old GP had been a bit quite ya know..

I've come so close SO many times to buying black powder stuff... As a revolver shooter (least primarily) and loving old iron, they just work for me, and i have no idea why i haven't jumped in.. I bought Dad a rifle kit. (45 cal., percussion back in the 80's) He then bought the matching bowie knife to go with it, and did a great job on them.

I still have the knife.. The rifle was never fired, and i traded it to my brother.. Sorta hated to let it go, but he didn't have an guns of Dad's and pretty sure it wasn't an easy trade for Gary either..

I sorta like the 36 navy Colt.. Let me ask you.. Or Bob to.. When you load and put grease or crisco, what ever on top of the ball.. How long can you carry it that way before you have to shoot it.. In other words could you keep it loaded for more than a month or so, and also is it a MUST to clean them the same day fired...Think i know the answer to the last question.

4 years 41 weeks ago, 2:03 AM

Anonymous

greg

i had a Uberti 1861 Navy replica in .44 cal(normally .36)that I kept loaded for better than 6 months.When I got it ready to give to my father in law for Dads Day last yr I took it to the range,put on fresh caps and all six shots fired fine.so 6 months at least by my experience.as for cleaning,with black powder stuff I do it "day of shooting" just to prevent bad stuff from happening.I have a front stuffer inline of a customers that he fired 2 yrs ago then put it away.it had a cleaning jag and patch stuck in the barrel for starters(got it out!)and had sprayed it down with WD40 so it wouldnt rust.I disassembled it and the barrel is laying in a tray full of carburetor cleaner(3 weeks now)til i get back to cleaning it.it may be junk but i have to scrub it to find out.lotsa rust and nasty shit in the barrel but i did get the nipple and breech plug out so it has possibilities...

4 years 41 weeks ago, 2:12 AM

greg az

greg az's picture

Gave my Pop a 22 H&R revolver back in the 80's and it got to him.. bet the 1861 did to yours..

Yep, thats exactly what i want.. Something about the unfluted cylinder, and the roll engraving.. think a lot of it is that they were carried thru the civil war.. What ever, i always go thru this, now that were talking about them i want one again..

Buddy the backs talking to me, know you understand.. see ya tomorrow pard.

4 years 41 weeks ago, 9:01 AM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State
Amen greg!

1976, I was 7 years old living in Spring Texas.

Change you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ron Paul 2012----Vote the bastards out!---------------------------------
4 years 40 weeks ago, 3:39 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army

I was 15, horny as hell and had a 1961 C10 shortwide with the hotwater six and three on the tree. Bucket seats from a 67 Camaro and gas fumes out the ass. (The real geezers know why.)
Camping at the creek and spotlighting varmints all weekend. Big ass stainless steel whip CB antenna mounted on a homemade headache rack.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
4 years 40 weeks ago, 3:54 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

Real Geezers remember when there was 23 channels not 40, and i bet you remember getting under the hood to pull the linkage rods apart after you "slammed" that gear shift to hard..

The good days of CJ McCall and Marty Robbins.. I hit the brakes and my foot went to the floorboards like i stepped on an orange.. (wolf creek pass).. Here to take an outlaw back alive or maybe dead... Said it didn't matter.. he was after Texas Red.. (big iron)

ok pop me a cold one..

4 years 40 weeks ago, 4:02 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
I blew up the 235ci

Put in a 283ci V8 with a Muncie Rockcrusher and Hurst Competition shifter.
Hooker headers, Cherry bomb bolt ups, chrome tips in front of the Super Sport bias ply tires on the rear. You could hear me coming a mile off.
Took the plate off where the factory radio would have gone. AM_FM Stereo by golly! Cut the speaker holes in the steel door panels with a jigsaw and about 5 blades.

4 years 40 weeks ago, 4:12 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

weld right on to the header down tube.. the plate was held down by two 1/2 bolts, come 10 pm every kid at the rootbeer drive in had a 1/2 box end wrench sticking out of his jeans, mesk'n carry..

Course that wasn't a guarantee you had cut outs, it just looked good..

4 years 40 weeks ago, 4:15 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
Coca Cola

Poured in the tail pipe would eat the hot fiberglass from the "glass packs".
Left you with a damn near straight exhaust.

4 years 40 weeks ago, 4:42 PM

Schuyler

Schuyler's picture

General
Bainbridge Island, Washington, United States

without permission, of course. Circumvented the exhaust. Unfortunately his Dad put the car on the rack at the local garage and discovered them. Reportedly he said, "God damned kid! Weld 'em shut!" Never told my friend, who discovered it the next time he tried to take a wrench to them.

Oops!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
4 years 40 weeks ago, 4:56 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
Schuy

The first shop that I ever took a vehicle to, tried to sell me on the same deal. I had them replace the radiator and handled the other stuff between me and dad. No cutouts.

4 years 40 weeks ago, 5:00 PM

ivantank

ivantank's picture

General

any opinions???

4 years 40 weeks ago, 5:05 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
Rossi Levert action

It took lots of elbow grease to loosen up the action on my .357 lever action. If it is used, go for it, if new, cycle it a bit. I'm happy with my Rossi, but it took time.

4 years 40 weeks ago, 5:24 PM

ivantank

ivantank's picture

General

they want 400 for it...its a purtty rifle

4 years 40 weeks ago, 5:33 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
400!

Go get a Henry Golden Boy.
You'll be happier.

4 years 39 weeks ago, 6:42 PM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General
ivantank

I agree with Vaquero, except I wouldn't want the Golden Boy. A Henry lever action .22 looks better to me than the Golden Boy, which I think is garish. Henry's shoot great, too. Plus, their action is really smooth.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain).
4 years 38 weeks ago, 5:49 AM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury

brings back a lot of memories,first off i was in the Marines in 1976,stuck on guard duty,we combined our resources and got a bunch of beer,which went into my car trunk,a 1969 Dodge charger,complete with ice.This was for after our shift but it didn't happen,lots of guys were combat vets then and our Sargent-of-the-day was too,when he wanted to pop a top,that was our green light,so on-duty and drunk as hell was how we partied in the july 4th 1976.

and Vaq that truck story brought back some memories too,i'm starting to think i'm going "geezer"

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1187 (0 members and 1187 guests)

Users Active within the last 24 hours
tallguy007, captmax, LLE, daisycutter, Pa Pa Tom, teko52
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,745, Comments: 162,426, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity