Forums / Off Topic / Something, I Forgot to Remember on 11/22/11

2 years 47 weeks ago, 11:18 AM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

Five days ago was the 48th anniversary of the JFK assassination. I usually remember on the anniversary date each year, but for some reason, I forgot this time. I am certain it has nothing to do with the fact that I am probably the oldest fart around this site, but it probably does have to do with the fact that the memory may have become too painful. Many of you were not even born in 1963, and many more of you who HAD already been born were too young to remember much about it. I was 31 years old, and I can tell you friends, it was a frightening event, even if your political beliefs were completely opposite those of the president.
At the time, I was working in the Defense and Aerospace industry, and on that fateful day, I was working in an experimental lab, processing data. I had decided to take a late lunch because we needed the results ASAP. As I remember it, I heard the noise of what sounded like a crowd gathering in the corridor outside the lab---yelling, screaming and women sobbing, and then the loud noise of USAF hellicopters landing and taking off. I looked out the window toward the helo pad, and saw offficers of all ranks, getting hurriedly aboard, and being immediately spirited off--to where, I had no idea. I did notice that the helo crews were heavily armed. That was about 1345 hours. I went out into the corridor to find out what was going on, and asked a security guard what was happening and he told me the story, plus the fact that we were now on a "very high" DEFCON. We received orders to secure all classified documents, and go to our homes until further notice, and thus began one of the saddest and most frightening few days in the life of this country, since Pearl Harbor.
I have to say, that I found it hard to believe that ---at the time---even a trained marksman could produce 2 out of 3 hits, from a 6.5mm Carcano at a moving target, in 11 seconds or less. That rifle cost less than $20 by mail order, and the event signalled the beginning of the end of freely available firearms sales in the USA.
More important, however, was the reminder to us all that our open society permitted such a thing to occur. We were reminded again, when President Reagen was shot. I hope I do not live to see such a thing, again, but alas, if we think so poorly of national security that we we permit a pourous southern border, who knows what the Islamo-terrorist cells will be able to accomplish.

Too old to fight, Too old to run, guess that's why I carry a gun! "would someone show this asshole the way out of town".[Rabbi Avram Belinski-aka "The Frisco Kid"]
2 years 47 weeks ago, 11:52 AM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
very interesting LLE

thanks for sharing,old fart.I was just 6 yrs old,we lived in Dallas at the time,my parents were badly shaken by the event i remember.I personally remember the funeral the most.Longtime Dallas residents still feel the stigma attached to the tragedy of having a President shot/killed in their city.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
2 years 47 weeks ago, 1:22 PM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

that should feel the stigma of having had such a thing happen. Heaven help us--we were "cold warriors" then, and there was a strange edgyness to the country's psyche, especially after the Cuban Missile confrontation with the Ruskies. JFK handled that one pretty damned well, and the world was not incinerated, but there may have been some who did not approve.

Too old to fight, Too old to run, guess that's why I carry a gun! "would someone show this asshole the way out of town".[Rabbi Avram Belinski-aka "The Frisco Kid"]

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 274 (1 member and 273 guests)
captmax

Users Active within the last 24 hours
captmax, tallguy007, nobile157, Caber, presslerms, gomer, jpdental
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,654, Comments: 161,088, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity