Forums / Gun Discussion / Springfield, Colt, or Kimber 1911?

2 years 38 weeks ago, 5:51 PM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel

I would like some insight from 1911 owners what 1911 is manufactured better?

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission. ~John F. Kennedy~
2 years 38 weeks ago, 5:55 PM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel

plus which one come with more goodies out of the box...
how is the coustomer and anything else you guys want to throw in...

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission. ~John F. Kennedy~
2 years 38 weeks ago, 6:02 PM

trevorferguson

trevorferguson's picture

Major General
my kimber opinion

I had the Kimber Ultra Carry II and loved it but within a month I had decided to trade it in and get a Taurus PT1911. I wanted the fullsize frame and steel vs aluminum. The customer service experience I had with Kimber was far from what I expected from a firearms company that charges that much for the guns. They really didn't even want to speak with me and acted like it didn't matter. Now for the Taurus I love it. From what I've seen the Kimber and Taurus come with about the same "goodies". Gun, one or two mags depending on where you buy the Kimber, a plastic pistol case with foam inside. that is pretty much standard for both. The taurus did come with a barrel brush, barrel bushing wrench (not needed on Kimber Ultra Carry II). They both came with a lock. Kimber's was a padlock style that went through the mag well and out the slide, vs the Taurus is a hex key built into the trigger. I'll never get a Kimber again, unless I can get it for the same price or cheaper than the Taurus, approx $600

2 years 38 weeks ago, 6:52 PM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel

I heard mixed reviews about the Taurus but for the price you really cant beat it.. il give it a 2nd look thank for the insight

2 years 38 weeks ago, 6:06 PM

trevorferguson

trevorferguson's picture

Major General

http://www.gunslot.com/forum/considering-1911-take-look-pt1911-taurus This link has multiple pics of my Taurus and some of my thoughts about it. You didn't put Taurus down but figured I'd throw it in and let you at least think about it. All I wanted in a 1911 was a Kimber but for me it wasn't right.

2 years 38 weeks ago, 6:13 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State

My PT1911 is one of the finest firearms that I own, I can't say enough good things about it....

Change you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ron Paul 2012----Vote the bastards out!---------------------------------
2 years 38 weeks ago, 7:01 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
Springfield

is what I have. I sure won't knock the Taurus. As you have read, some fine folks here have 'em and love 'em. I love my Springfield just as much I reckon. Put some lead downrange with it today, no issues at all. It's been about 300 rounds since I've cleaned or oiled it. Smooth as glass and the slide tension is still easing up little by little. I know people wqho love Kimber and just as many who hate 'em. It's a 1911. Kimber is just a name.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
2 years 38 weeks ago, 7:09 PM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel

Im leaning springfield.. cause its the only one ive actually fired and i have yet to hear one bad review on them a glock guy even talked up a springfield operator to me

2 years 38 weeks ago, 4:50 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
Springfield

moedizzl3 wrote:
Im leaning springfield.. cause its the only one ive actually fired and i have yet to hear one bad review on them a glock guy even talked up a springfield operator to me

I'm a Colt guy myself, but in the last few years I've become a serious Springfield fan. I have one of the Ultra-Compact 1911's and also the XDm 9mm. They're a great gun, even if they're pricey. But, with Colt being almost all custom shop stuff now and Kimber being insane on their prices they're probably the cheapest now. Good luck with whichever one you buy, Moe. Post us some pics when you bring her home.

2 years 38 weeks ago, 4:12 PM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel
will do

will do

2 years 38 weeks ago, 10:52 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General

I also have a SA 1911. GI Spec. Love it! For the price, absolutely well worth it.

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
2 years 38 weeks ago, 8:40 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

all of the above make models that are good. I would compare them and find the one that has all of the features that you're looking for while being in your price range. I have a springer myself and have no complaints. They make a really solid pistol.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
2 years 38 weeks ago, 9:47 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
Money

Maybe we could help more if you told us your price range, Moe. I mean, are you looking to spend $500-$800, over $1000 , more? You can go all the way to the Les Baer custom 1911's if you really wanted to drop some coin. I think you're making the right choice if you go with the Springfield though, since Colt is now insanely expensive and no better than the Springfield.

2 years 38 weeks ago, 4:12 PM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel
500-1200

500-1200

2 years 38 weeks ago, 1:02 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

American Classic...

If you can get a chance to hold on in your hands and/or shoot it you will be dumbfounded how they can build a hand fit pistol together and keep the costs down so low.

We've been playing around with two different ones. The Amigo and the Commander, each of them are dead nuts accurate, will eat anything you put in them and they are just now costing around $500.00 new.

There is no play what so ever in these pistols. they come with a crisp glass braking trigger digitally weighed at 3.5 lbs. Competition Hammer/Trigger the ones Billy has have Extended Safety, Slide Stop and mag release.

There all cost the same, from the 3 inch compact to the 5 inch full size. Finish doesn't make a difference either.

Seriously, this is a pistol which is only going to go up in cost. Three months ago you could pick them up for $400.00, now they are $500.00 and climbing as more people learn about them.

They are made in the Philippines by the people who make their Military and Police firearms. They build these pistol the old school way where one guy is building the pistol start to finish, hand fitting the slide to frame, triggers, everything...

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
2 years 38 weeks ago, 7:40 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
American Classic?

Ishootdaily wrote:
American Classic...

If you can get a chance to hold on in your hands and/or shoot it you will be dumbfounded how they can build a hand fit pistol together and keep the costs down so low.

We've been playing around with two different ones. The Amigo and the Commander, each of them are dead nuts accurate, will eat anything you put in them and they are just now costing around $500.00 new.

There is no play what so ever in these pistols. they come with a crisp glass braking trigger digitally weighed at 3.5 lbs. Competition Hammer/Trigger the ones Billy has have Extended Safety, Slide Stop and mag release.

There all cost the same, from the 3 inch compact to the 5 inch full size. Finish doesn't make a difference either.

Seriously, this is a pistol which is only going to go up in cost. Three months ago you could pick them up for $400.00, now they are $500.00 and climbing as more people learn about them.

They are made in the Philippines by the people who make their Military and Police firearms. They build these pistol the old school way where one guy is building the pistol start to finish, hand fitting the slide to frame, triggers, everything...

I've never even heard of these guns. I'll look them up and see what's up.

2 years 38 weeks ago, 4:23 PM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel
for that price i gotta

for that price i gotta atleast shoot one... thanks for the insight

2 years 38 weeks ago, 2:20 PM

trevorferguson

trevorferguson's picture

Major General
ISD

I almost bought one of the American Classics. Couldn't decide between the Amigo or the Commander by the time I decided I wanted the Amigo they were both gone. That is when I went and got the Kimber. I'm still watching for the Amigo at my local store.

2 years 38 weeks ago, 5:07 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Trevor

I actually shot the Amigo and the Pro Carry II between two boxes of factory federal 230 FMJ.

Everyone was shocked how the Amigo shot right with the Kimber out to 45 feet. Did the same with the Commander and it actually shot better than the Pro Carry.

That pretty much decided it for Billy, he sold both his Pro Carries. His Kimber would need new recoil springs between 650 and 700 rounds, after that you had to pop the slide on the ass to get it to seat all the way. I know the Amigo and the Commander have well over 800 rounds through them and it is a mixture of some seriously hot reloads / factory Defense and reloaded/factory target.

They are kind of hard to get right now because people are starting to understand what your getting for so little cash they keep them bought out.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
2 years 38 weeks ago, 4:24 PM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel

im liken wat i hear about this Commander will def check it out

2 years 38 weeks ago, 5:18 PM

trevorferguson

trevorferguson's picture

Major General
ISD

The local store I go to originally had 5 American Classics. Well from what he told me and from what I read he had a total of 13 RIA (rock island armory for those that don't know) and claimed they are all manufactured by the same equipment. According to my research RIA, American Classic, and Citadel are all made in the same plant. Now I do know that my research is strictly internet based and most if not all of that information could be true or false and I'd never know but after feeling and looking at the Citadel, American Classic, and RIA it wouldn't suprise me. All three guns felt pretty good but I didn't have the option of shooting them and I didn't know of anyone who had them so when they had all been purchased I decided not to wait, but I am not. I will probably get one of the 9mm versions just to have.

2 years 38 weeks ago, 3:05 PM

Eric1911

Eric1911's picture

Major
rock island

I have a rock island 1911 I bought back in 2003 for $375 it jammed a few times untill I bought new mags for it $20 never jammed again it was my first and only 1911 and I think its good enough on accuracy, the only other 1911 I have to compare it to is a springfield did not notice any difference. I've always been an advocate of you pay for what you get. Doesn't seem to be the case here. Maybe I got a gun that wasn't made on a monday or friday

2 years 38 weeks ago, 4:21 PM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel

lol
il check out the RIA 1911 out thanks

2 years 38 weeks ago, 4:25 PM

trevorferguson

trevorferguson's picture

Major General
giveaways

I found this site and it might be something to look into. It always has links to current "gun Giveaways" there are a couple of 1911's for giveaways right now. Might be worth trying.

2 years 38 weeks ago, 5:25 PM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel

whats the site can you post a link?

2 years 38 weeks ago, 5:32 PM

trevorferguson

trevorferguson's picture

Major General

thought I had posted that. Sorry. http://www.weapon-blog.com/contests/

2 years 38 weeks ago, 7:45 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
Moedizzl3

If you're willing to spend as much as $1200 get a good Springfield. They've got all sorts of accessories and the like and they're probably the best 1911 out there.

2 years 37 weeks ago, 9:27 PM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel
i am now

at first the price made me hesitate but after firing one i cant think of spending my money on any other gun...

2 years 37 weeks ago, 10:53 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

Secretary of Homeland Security

I've said this many times before, but not sure on any thread you might have seen.. I would strongly advocate looking at a used pistol.. I think it's a given that any of the 1911's are going to be fine weapons.. and going the RIA or Philippine route you can't get much lower in price, and the ones that i've seen (fired a LOT of 1911's but none of the the low priced ones) again the ones ive seen are tight well machined, and i have no doubt worth the money.. That being said you can buy a 70 series (not year, model) Colt for a LOT less money than buying new, and theirs some springfields out there as well.. Just a suggestion.. i've found that you can get some great buys going the used route.. and as a rule your dealing with independent mom and pop type operations rather than the big box stores.. which ever..good luck to you..

a man has to hold his word, hold his beliefs, and hold a good sight picture.
2 years 37 weeks ago, 4:05 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
Moe

Greg is dead on, both of my 1911's were bought used: the full size was a Argentine Federal Police surplus, the Springfield was a gently used carry gun that had belonged to a cop. Both of them are excellent guns and I've never had a moment's trouble.

2 years 37 weeks ago, 7:28 AM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
1911's

I have a Taurus PT1911... Love it, and would recommend it. I'm also one of those people who hate Kimber. I have been looking into the Sig 1911's, I have fired one, and loved it. However I don't own it and have no idea how it is going to break in..... but being a Sig, I think it will continue to fire great.

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
2 years 37 weeks ago, 10:16 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
Ronin

I have a Springfield and it is a great shooter. I'd like to look into the Sigs at some point too. I have a buddy that hates Sig. I never heard anyone say that before. But then again, he loves his Glock, so what does he know? ;)

<*running out to avoid the hate coming*>

2 years 37 weeks ago, 11:55 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
LOL

SJMB, we've a load of people at the range who are true to their choice and only their choice. Everything else is junk and bunk....

SIg's first run of GSR's had issues, they knew it, recalled and fixed it. They have not produced one that is not a tack driver that will eat anything you feed it since.

The price on their 1911's is not too bad either for a higher end piece. Love the Springfield Loaded's in all flavors too.

Kimber's are pretty, they feel nice and they shoot extremely well most of the time, or at least some of the time.. lol

The recoil springs wear out within 800 rounds as a rule... They are finicky for what ammo they will eat for defense rounds. I've seen a few where the finish has plain worn off though I think they fixed that issue. For the price I can not see buying one, because I can buy two PT 1911's, Loaded's, 3 of the Metropolitan (American Classics) and have anyone of those pistol shoot with or out shoot an out of the box Kimber.

just saying...

2 years 37 weeks ago, 1:50 PM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
ISD

Yeah, I like to horse around, but I'm not going to bad mouth anyone's weapon. To each their own. I don't like the Glock myself, but I know it a fine pistol. It just doesn't feel right in my hand. And I think that's what things really come down to. What fits you right. If it's the Glock, so be it. If it's the Sig, great. But, and I think it's been said before, the main thing is, can you hit what you're aiming at? If not, then you should consider something else. But if you can, then it's a great weapon.

I didn't realize Kimber's springs wear out that fast. I've never fired one before and have only seen them in magazines and under glass. I always assumed they were a great pistol b/c the price. Good to know. My Springfield has been through thousands of rounds and hasn't had issue one yet. *knock on wood*

2 years 37 weeks ago, 8:48 AM

greg az

greg az's picture

Secretary of Homeland Security

Love this group, and this fact is more amazing when you consider we can't agree on hardly anything..

Kimbers, Sons of gun suck..

Saying that laughing, sure theirs a lot of Kimber suportors out there.. and same with guys who like "sons of gun".. I've tried to watch it like three times, and never got all thru a full show..

The shows meaningless and perhaps better this year.. more interested in why we don't have more Kimber suportors out there.. Price maybe.. I know i seriously looked at them when they first came out.. One of the things that surprised me was the number of models that were available..

a man has to hold his word, hold his beliefs, and hold a good sight picture.
2 years 37 weeks ago, 3:40 PM

tallguy007

tallguy007's picture

Lieutenant General
sons of guns tv show

I use to watch it all the time when it started but now they add the drama with the 2 kids and the guy Vince so not so much any more. PREFERRED IS " SWAMP PEOPLE" TROY ALWAYS SAYS
"choooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot" hmmmm lol

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
2 years 37 weeks ago, 5:18 PM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General

Well, first thing is customer service. I tried to order 2 Kimbers a few years back, told the rep that price wasn't an issue. Wanted 2 that were loaded, and here is the kicker..... They had to be sisters. I was wanting to get 2 to make into heirloom pieces for me and my son and pass on down the line. Guess what? Kimber refused my one condition, so I went elsewhere. Secondly, I have fired 4 Kimbers... 1 ran like a watch, and 3 couldn't go through a single mag without jambing. All four belonged to a now EX-Kimber dealer. And costomer service wouldn't help him either. LOL!

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
2 years 37 weeks ago, 5:36 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
fair enough

I wouldn't be fond of em either after that. Couple of guys at work swear by em. I'm plenty happy with the springfield.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
2 years 37 weeks ago, 10:17 PM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel
springfield

Springfield is the gun for me this guy at the range let me shoot it and im hooked...lol i wish NJ permit issuing system was faster ive been waiting 4 months...smh

2 years 36 weeks ago, 8:50 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
Kimber

I like Kimber's guns, just not as much as they seem to, lol.

2 years 34 weeks ago, 7:43 PM

coppertop

coppertop's picture

Major General

I've got a Springfield loaded and it's great. I looked at Kimbers and Sigs, but the SA just felt right. So far the only issues have come from the mags that came with it. Picked up some Wilson combat mags and I'm good to go. I've heard that Springfield has great customer service, but I haven't needed it.

2 years 34 weeks ago, 8:52 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
gtg

Yep,i'd say so.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 988 (0 members and 988 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,687, Comments: 161,594, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity