Forums / Gun Discussion / Taurus 24/7 OSS

3 years 1 week ago, 3:16 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
Taurus 24/7 OSS

I am able to get a NIB 24/7 OSS .45 for $300 out the door. From what I'm finding, thats a pretty good price. I am thinking about buying it to give to my brother in law. I've only shot a 24/7 once before and it wasn't an OSS. I was going to end up giving him one of my old glocks anyways, but would rather keep them if I can get this 24/7 for $300 and its reliable. I know some of you guys have 24/7's.... Give me the pros and cons. I'm mainly concerned with the cons as this needs to be reliable (it will be his only gun besides a nagant I gave him). You won't hurt my feelings at all if you tell me it's a P.O.S. I would rather know now, so I can look into different options...

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 1 week ago, 10:28 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Reaper OSS

I actually owned one of the Taurus 24/7 OSS Proto-type .45's that was sent in for the Military .45 trials that got scrubbed. It actually is a solid shooter and that 5 1/4 inch match barrel really seemed to let the UMC 230 grain round kick up the energy a bit. I had one issue with it as it was hitting low left. I sent the firearm back to Taurus and they recrowned it. It was a tack driver after that which would eat any and everything I put in it. All the controls where easy to reach and operate even with my smaller hands and the grip fir in my hands and my older brothers who has huge hams for hands.

Personally I think it is a solid option for a range gun and for a SHTF weapon.

He will definitely have to hang onto it because any wrist break and there is a 70% chance of being able to watch the slide slip forward and probably chambering the round. Most semi autos are like that for the most part, but, it isn't that forgiving.

I'd buy it and it would be a good simple to maintain first semi auto pistol for him. He would probably keep it without considering ever getting rid of it unless he needed it for a trade to something down the road.

The only reason I do not have mine anymore is that I traded it even for a Savage FP10LE-2 because a guy wanted it for his collection, being a trials gun and I wanted something I could dink plates at 1000 yards with.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 4 days ago, 10:11 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
ISD

thanks. I have been reading good and bad reviews. The bad reviews make me a little skeptical. I think I'll buy it and put 500 rounds or so through it before I give it to him, that way if there are any issues I can trade it for something else. You'd think that they would test all of their pistols that they were sending to the actual trials... makes you wonder when one of the trial pistols needed to be recrowned

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 4 days ago, 1:37 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
Reaper308

Lonely in here by yourself? LOL
TT you soon. samD

2 years 49 weeks ago, 3:33 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
24/7 OSS

I went ahead and decided to give it a shot. Picked it up the other day. I haven't shot it yet but I'll report back when I do. I plan on putting 500 rds through it before I decide if it's reliable enough to give to him.

First impressions are OK but I kind of feel like the trigger, slide release and safety are pretty cramped for me. It would be nice if I could add a back strap to make the grip slightly larger or move the controls slightly forward. It came out of the box with more shit on it than a cosmoline caked SKS. The barrel had a lot of fouling as well. I'm sure they factory test these, but they must have been using some pretty dirty ammo. Anyway, it’s all cleaned up and ready to be put in the hot seat. If it doesn't perform it'll be sitting on the used gun shelf at the range.

2 years 49 weeks ago, 5:27 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

It does seem cramped up for some for sure. I'd probably look at putting a finger groove slip on with palm swells on it. That is what I did and it did make a difference.

For the life of me I do not know why they did not use an interchangeable back strap.

But per JPC requirements they made it simple and a one fits all kind of thing. The trigger actually is pretty sweet imo. The reset is fast and the break is crisp.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 470 (0 members and 470 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,660, Comments: 161,129, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity