Forums / Gun Discussion / taurus tcp 380 vs. kel tec p-3at

4 years 9 weeks ago, 9:28 PM

mrc24

mrc24's picture

Corporal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

which of these two 380's is best. I can get the taurus for $270 out door and kel tec for $250 out door. what do you guys think is the better of the two. i have shot the kel tec but never shot the tcp. any help is appreciated. thanks.

4 years 9 weeks ago, 9:39 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State

and I like it, it has a decent trigger and it is a good shooter, but I have no experience with the Kel-Tec, so I can't Judge.

Change you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ron Paul 2012----Vote the bastards out!---------------------------------
4 years 9 weeks ago, 9:29 AM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
hamp

the .380 is what im gonna get my daughter.that way we can share ammo when i take my Sig 238.i was also looking at the 709 9mm

...check... G-AZ
4 years 9 weeks ago, 9:37 AM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State

is a good round for the ladies, I would have gone with the .380acp for my wife but she has a hard time with the slide so we went with the .38/.357 revolver platform.......Happy Thanksgiving to you bunch as well and I will choke chic....er..ah...cat for you!!!!!LOL

Change you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ron Paul 2012----Vote the bastards out!---------------------------------
4 years 9 weeks ago, 9:45 PM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
Hamp

Pm sir. Reply when ya can. No need to hurry pal.

Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.-Ronald Reagan
4 years 9 weeks ago, 5:41 AM

TLtactical

TLtactical's picture

Major General

I did not like Taurus all that much 15 years ago, but now they are making very good quality firearms... The TCP is a really great little gun for what it is... It gas a smoother magazine loading than the Ruger LCP that it appears to be mostly imitated from... It comes with 2 mags instead of one and a lifetime warranty...

Kel-Tec has always felt too cheap to me, and with that long hard trigger pull it is just too cheap for my taste...

I bought my wife the Walther PK380 and that is a reliable and accurate shooter...

Best Regards TL “It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ---Aristotle Greek critic, philosopher, physicist, & zoologist (384 BC - 322 BC)
2 years 49 weeks ago, 2:10 PM

PBR Driver

PBR Driver's picture

Brigadier General
Taurus .380?

My wife bought a Pink?, Taurus TCP.
I am here to tell you it is a shootin lil gun!
Not one hic up and shoots very accurately.
She can carry it and it does not weigh heavy on the belt or pocket!
She once owned a much bigger gun in a more effective cartridge however it was
to heavy she quit packing it.
All I have to say is I may get a stainless over black TCP as a play toy or a back up.
A hit with a lil .380acp is danged sure better than a miss with a .357 in my mind.

INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE. If you do not love the CONSTITUTION AS IT IS WRITTEN then you are free to leave MY COUNTRY at this time.
2 years 47 weeks ago, 10:24 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General

I tested all of the pocket .380s not long ago. The Taurus, The Ruger, the Kel Tec, even the Diamondback. I found the Taurus to be the best fit and that's the one I got. I just prefer the style of the Taurus over the others. Hope that helps!

2 years 47 weeks ago, 10:52 AM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
Taurus .380

A buddy of mine bought a taurus .380 for his wife to carry. We took it to the range so he could get acquainted with it and I could teach him some basics about firearm safety and situational awareness (not that I am a professional ninja or anything). I let him shoot my glock first. No problems, he even enjoyed it. He loaded up the first magazine and gave it to me to fire the weapon. First time it was loaded and fired. I inserted the magazine and racked the slide. Failure to feed. I slammed the slide into battery with the heel of hand. Good to go, I chalked it up to first time. I had a PT99 back 15-20 years ago that I had no problems with and went through close to 100K rounds with, so I was not expecting problems with the .380.
I pressed the trigger and the little gun went bang. Exactly what you want and expect. What I did not want nor do I expect is another failure to feed. In fact I had a hard time clearing the round, i.e. pulling back on the slide to extract the live round. I finished off the magazine like the aforementioned scenario. I handed my buddy the weapon and told him to get a new one. Perhaps it was a bad gun, perhaps it could be fixed, but in no way would I ever recommend that he or his wife carry that gun for defense. Even if he paid big money to fix whatever was wrong with the handgun, there would always be that little question of when is this weapon going to malfunction like it did when it was brand new. At this point in the conversation, I explained to him that neither brand nor price determines a good weapon for defense, it is the trust one has in his weapon to perform in the highest of stresses that creates confidence which will add an edge in your performance at that critical time. I did not have that trust in his weapon.

clint

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin & Hobbes)

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1108 (1 member and 1107 guests)
jf.chandler sr.

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,703, Comments: 161,914, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity