Forums / Gun Discussion / What can you do to a Rem. model 7400?

6 years 5 weeks ago, 8:07 PM

undeniable

undeniable's picture

Major General

I have a Remington model 7400 in .243. It seems to jam constantly. I've taken it all apart and cleaned it, nothing seems to work. I've tried several different brands of ammunition as well as different grain bullets. Any suggestions would be helpful.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Kevin Spacey: (The Usual Suspects)
6 years 5 weeks ago, 8:34 PM

Anonymous

undeniable

the 740/7400,760/7600 series guns have a chamber that is a bitch to clean.the chamber doesnt get clean enough and gets a bit of rust(where the case sits)causing the case to jam after firing.find a brush that is bigger than the outside diameter of the 243 case and put it in the chamber thru the side port of the receiver.rotate the brush in the chamber with some gun oil.i chuck up my brush in my makita drill.spin the brush about 20 times then spray out the chamber with some gun scrubber or similar product.then try it and see what you get.this is a common problem with these guns.

6 years 5 weeks ago, 8:39 PM

undeniable

undeniable's picture

Major General
Thanks greasypaws

I thought I might be missing something in the cleaning. I am about to get rid of it. I'll try that and if it don't work, then someones getting a .243 for real cheap.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Kevin Spacey: (The Usual Suspects)
6 years 5 weeks ago, 8:45 PM

Anonymous

undeniable

i have a 760 which is the pump version of your gun in .308.mine started jamming too,i took it to my buddy at his gunshop,he stuck a borescope down the barrel and showed me the rust in the chamber.he cleaned it as i told you and it works fine.if ya wanna part with it let me know!

6 years 5 weeks ago, 8:48 PM

undeniable

undeniable's picture

Major General
greasypaws

I'll let you know. It has a tendency to jam a round into the top of the chamber, I've missed some follow up shots by it doing that. Thats probably the most irritating thing about it. I like the balance and the accuracy.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 924 (1 member and 923 guests)
daisycutter

Users Active within the last 24 hours
daisycutter, teko52, coppertop, sarge98597, jf.chandler sr., captmax, tallguy007, LLE, DanO, Pa Pa Tom
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,702, Comments: 161,877, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity