Forums / Gun Discussion / what can you do to a s&w 1911?

6 years 16 weeks ago, 8:56 PM

wally_walt

wally_walt's picture

Major

what kind of mods can be done to this gun?

6 years 16 weeks ago, 9:09 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

what kind? is it mil spec, or does it already come with some extras? when it comes to 1911's you can do almost anything

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 16 weeks ago, 9:19 PM

wally_walt

wally_walt's picture

Major
a mil spec.

this is a gun i am interested in buying to be my first gun. i just feels so freakin sweet in my hands. plus i shot it at the range today damm i like this gun! what extras? i dont what oyu mean by the extras?(sorry, new to guns)

6 years 16 weeks ago, 9:25 PM

craigman9mm

craigman9mm's picture

Brigadier General
mil spec 45

As a military spec firearm it is considered a plain jane. To add bells and whistles you must know what you need in a firearm. As a new gun enthusist you must learn about options and what your looking for as for personlizing your own weapon. You can spend hundreds of dollars personalizing a firearm. If you already know what you want then buy the gun that already has the options. If you want more than a mil spec 45 then check out the kimbers that are available on the market. You'll spend up to a $1000.00 bucks for a tricked out kimber, but remember that a 1000.00 won't make you shoot any better.

6 years 16 weeks ago, 9:20 PM

wally_walt

wally_walt's picture

Major
a mil spec.

this is a gun i am interested in buying to be my first gun. i just feels so freakin sweet in my hands. plus i shot it at the range today damm i like this gun

6 years 16 weeks ago, 9:29 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
I bought a mil spec

I bought a mil spec springfield 1911 because I wanted to save a little money. I ended up customizing mine (adding all of the bells and wistles) and ended up spending a lot more money than I would have if I would have bought it from springfield with all of the modifications. so, my suggestion, is to buy a good 1911 with all of the features that you're gonna want on it, so you don't have to buy all of the parts and do the work yourself (or pay a gun smith). If you don't have the money, I suggest to wait and save till you can afford a nice weapon. Like I have said in other forums, I love my 1911 to death, I wouldn't trade it for any other gun in the world, but if I were going to do it again, I would do it differently. If I was gonna buy another 1911, I would go with kimber (I like the covert II), but all kimbers will be good quality.
That being said... I can tell you what I did to my mil spec, but there is still more that you can do
1. added a beaver tail
2. milled out the slide and added adjustable night sights
3. added a full size guide rod
4. extended the mag well
5. new trigger and trigger job
6. new hammer
7. new bar sto barrel
8. changed the grips

most non mil spec 1911's will come with a full size guide rod, beaver tail, decent sights, decent barrel. stuff that may add a couple hundred onto the price tag, but if you do it yourself, it could end up costing twice as much.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 16 weeks ago, 9:42 PM

wally_walt

wally_walt's picture

Major

youre right kimber has some nice 1911's im ready to buy it ill go check them out. but when i do i got to wait 30 days to bring it home. ill post up a picture when i get it.

6 years 16 weeks ago, 9:43 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

damn. cali makes you wait 30 days. I know they were strict but thats gonna be a long month!

6 years 16 weeks ago, 9:52 PM

wally_walt

wally_walt's picture

Major

yep 30 days. its BS you gotta pay it off completly then go back and get it.after the 30 days i think you have a day to get it if you dont you have to do the whole process again and wait some more. thats what i over heard at the dealer

6 years 16 weeks ago, 10:08 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
wally

if its a kimber, make sure you soot often, or you'll have a real expensive paper weight

...check... G-AZ

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1135 (0 members and 1135 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,690, Comments: 161,625, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity