Forums / Gun Discussion / What to do with $350?

4 years 18 weeks ago, 6:07 PM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General
What to do with $350?

I'am about to sell my .357 Taurus, and am not sure what to replace it with! Here are some of my current thoughts..........
SKS
Kel-Tec Sub2000
Hi Point Carbine
Mosin-Nagant

Any Ideas or opinions?

"Two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red the white the blue.The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made, Don’t Tread On Me is what it says"
4 years 18 weeks ago, 7:26 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General
Kel tec sub

I had a sub 2000- it was great. wish i had kept it.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do
4 years 18 weeks ago, 8:54 PM

Anonymous

my 2 bits...

buy an SKS.they are fun to shoot and ammo for them is still reasonable via surplus.add a ATI monte carlo stock and you will have a good deer rifle too.

4 years 18 weeks ago, 10:02 PM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General
SKS

I agree with Greasypaws. SKS's are good guns, with quite decent accuracy, and 7.62x39 is a good deer cartridge.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain).
4 years 18 weeks ago, 10:25 PM

Jeffashbyjr

Jeffashbyjr's picture

Lieutenant General
The boonies outside of pensacola, Fl, United States
Hey Shakleford

I would go with the SKS it is a good rifle with many options, course may I ask why you are selling your .357 Taurus? I have a Taurus and I like mine very much

If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you have a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?
4 years 18 weeks ago, 9:18 AM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General
Jeffashbyjr

The Taurus is a great gun, I just don't shoot it all that much. It's not a great range gun, cause of the 2" barrel........not too much fun to shoot more than ten rounds though at a time! Just looking for somthing that I can enjoy more,and maybe have some cash left over for bills and such!

"Two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red the white the blue.The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made, Don’t Tread On Me is what it says"
4 years 18 weeks ago, 9:33 AM

Jeffashbyjr

Jeffashbyjr's picture

Lieutenant General
The boonies outside of pensacola, Fl, United States
Hey Shakleford

AHHHH gotcha the one I have is four or six inch ported barrel .357 so shooting at the range is fun I can see where a 2 inch would't be fun. The SKS and the HI Point Carbine are fun guns. The HI Points run for about 250 to 275 and come 9mm, .40 cal, and 45 ACP in august.

If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you have a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?
4 years 18 weeks ago, 10:16 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
shak

the SKS and Nagant are military grade rifles. they are both great choices. you should be able to find a nagant in good shape for under $100. You can find a yugo sks for fairly cheap also. Both are great choices and will last forever. I can't say the same for the other two guns you mentioned.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
4 years 18 weeks ago, 11:35 AM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General

I know you could get them for under $200 a couple of years ago, but how about now?

4 years 18 weeks ago, 12:40 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
shak

maybe $200 if you find the right deal at an auction site or somewhere. Samco Global usually has pretty good prices and they're going for $269-$289 right now... then you'll have the FFL fee. not sure what the cracked stock is all about. I would ask.

https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-sks.html

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
4 years 18 weeks ago, 1:46 PM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General
Thanks Reaper

I've found one local for $200, FTF transaction. I was just wondering if it was a good deal or not........sounds like it is! I think I will probably get an SKS over the others, although Cabela's has Nagants for $100 right now!

4 years 18 weeks ago, 2:13 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
Shak

Get the SKS, I've never regretted getting mine. Fun, accurate, cheap. Kinda like one of my old girlfriends! LOL.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
4 years 18 weeks ago, 11:15 AM

ohioshooter

ohioshooter's picture

Brigadier General
make them look for me lol , ohio , United States
i have

i have a kel tec 2000 in a 9 clock mag set up friend shot it was very empressed ,so i bought him one for his birthday have a hi point 9 as well love it and his son loves it so he s getting one for his birthday today . and i like both rifles

"I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy."
4 years 18 weeks ago, 12:09 PM

dockit

dockit's picture

Major General
SKS Carbines were

SKS Carbines were manufactured in a large number of countries in Eastern Europe and Asia. There may be subtle variations between and within a given countries’ SKS Carbines. For the purposes of this FAQ, we will categorize them into three broad categories:

1. Standard fixed magazine SKS Carbines—Built by many nations including: Russia, China, Romania, etc. Also included here is the Albanian (a fixed magazine SKS Carbine variation, which can be recognized by its’ unusual handguard) and Chinese ‘Paratrooper’ (a shortened variation of the standard fixed SKS Carbine, which was produced for commercial export). Most of the information presented herein applies directly to any standard fixed magazine SKS Carbines. In general European manufactured SKS Carbines are on the ATF’s Curios and Relics list, while those of Chinese manufacture are not.

2. Yugoslavian Type 59/66 Rifles—A fixed magazine SKS Carbine variation, which can be recognized by its’ grenade launcher. This variation is given special consideration herein due to the additional military features. The Type 59/66A1 is equipped with a grenade launcher and flip-up night sights. The Type 59/66 is also equipped with a grenade launcher, but does not have the flip-up night sights. Note the standard Yugoslavian Type 59 has neither of these features and is considered a ‘standard fixed magazine’ variant. All of these models are on the ATF’s Curios and Relics list.

3. Chinese SKS‑D & SKS‑M—These are detachable AK-style magazine variations of the SKS Carbine, produced for commercial export. These variations are given special consideration herein due to the detachable AK47-style magazine.

Yooper John's SKS web page has a lot of good information to help identify your SKS Carbine. The site includes a large number of very nice photos.

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm

I intend to live forever, or die trying. It Could Be that the Purpose of Your Life is Only to Serve as a Warning to Others. Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them. All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
4 years 18 weeks ago, 12:50 AM

lwswart

lwswart's picture

Major

Go to the range... shoot all the guns that you are interested in and some that you are not that are in your price range... and make a decision from that... buying a gun is not a light decision.. take a whole day deciding which one ... test drive them like you would a car... people have there own opinion but your decision is your opinion and you may like features about a fire arm that other people hate.

4 years 18 weeks ago, 8:52 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
range?

there's no ranges around here where you can rent any of those guns. Maybe in your neck of the woods. Around here you can get anything from a SAW or M60 to almost any handgun or precision rifle... but good luck finding mil-surps or a hi point for rent

4 years 18 weeks ago, 3:32 PM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General
Got a SKS today!

A #'s matching Yugo, for $150! Anybody know how to figure out how old it is?

4 years 17 weeks ago, 10:41 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
shak: dating a yugo

These are for the original arsenal numbers on the rifle, not the numbers that the importer such as Century Arms put on it...

This was my source for the charts...
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=81.0

4 years 18 weeks ago, 3:35 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
Sweet

The feral hogs are in deep shit now!
Not a clue on #s.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
4 years 17 weeks ago, 10:54 AM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!.....I would like to get my hands on an SKS or a nagant or both!

Change you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ron Paul 2012----Vote the bastards out!---------------------------------
4 years 16 weeks ago, 10:10 PM

hunter8091

hunter8091's picture

Major
sks

i would go with the sks they are a lot of fun to shoot takes little while to get all the packing grease out of them but they are great rifles

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 831 (0 members and 831 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,674, Comments: 161,401, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity