Forums / Gun Discussion / Why is .380 ammo so hard to find?

5 years 2 weeks ago, 12:28 PM

The Artist

The Artist's picture

Corporal

I mean, if there's a shortage why not just make more?

5 years 2 weeks ago, 1:35 PM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
Artist

From what the NRA said, the ammo companies can produce. However they must receive the components;the component causing the shortage is "Primers", which are said to be Maxed Out.

(You have to look behind all of that outer space stuff)
5 years 2 weeks ago, 6:23 AM

The Artist

The Artist's picture

Corporal

Okay, thanks. Just didn't make sense to Me.
What ever happened to Supply/Demand?

5 years 2 weeks ago, 7:27 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Artist

The supply and demand principle still exists. That principle doesn't say "The more the demand, the more the supply". It says "If the demand is high and supply is low, the price is high. If supply is high and demand is low, the price is low. Look on a place like gunbroker and you'll see plenty of .380 ammo, but you'll pay through the nose for it.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 1 week ago, 4:37 PM

wjh2657

wjh2657's picture

Major
.380 shortage.

The Artist wrote:

One of the big reasons for the shortage of .380 also impacted us .38 Special shooters. The two most popular guns sold during the intial "Oh GOD Obama is going to take all our guns away" phase were the BERSA Thunder (and CC) and the S&W 642. The people that bought these also bought all the ammo they could get for them. This was no small thing as literally thousands of these two little guns were sold in a matter of a month or two. The three shops in our area couldn't keep either of these two in stock. People were waiting for the UPS and Fedex trucks to arrive and buying them before they even hit the shelves.
This was especially true among the new CCW holders. I am just now being able to find .38 Special practice ammo.

5 years 1 week ago, 1:12 PM

CraZ4Gunz

CraZ4Gunz's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

The Artist wrote:

As I understand it, the big manufacturers only made a limited run for this caliber in the past since it had low demand, and when the rush hit a few months back they were not tooled up for it. And, of course the other calibers (223,45,9mm,38spl,357 mag, etc.) all got hit too. You CAN find 380 (even Wallyworld has some WWB every now and then) but it takes a lot of digging. I managed a couple of cases a while back and am soooooo grateful I bought it then. As others said - its out there but you will pay for it right now until production catches up. Try finding even .22 LR in large quantity!!!

...shoot 'em if ya got 'em!
5 years 1 week ago, 10:37 AM

panhead

panhead's picture

Master Sergeant
380 = 9mm

380 is necked down 9mm so 9mm is at apremium so why would they want tostop making 9mm ,change machinery over to 380. the government also renewed the contract for 9mm and other calibers , thats easy money for the manufacturers, the rest of us just have to suffer , the word i have gotten is "in a few months ammowill be back to normal" except in my opinion the price will stay high

stay alert.... stay alive
5 years 1 week ago, 10:42 AM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States

.380 is a 9X18mm as the parabellum/luger is 9X19mm. The .380 in Europe is mostly called a 9mm short. They also make a 9mm largo which is 9x21mm. I also understand that there is a 9X23mm. Very confusing at best.
I hope you enjoy the sight.
samD

5 years 1 week ago, 11:46 AM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

hope you will enjoy all you your visits here. everyone will want to get to know you so make sure to fill out information on home page you have here at the site. also the more contribution you make to site the more points you earn and so advance in rank.
ryo have make study of the 9mm and like samD say above, it can be very confusing so let see if ryo can help clear this up some. in first place the actual diameter of the 9mm round .354, so this honestly make it more of a .35 caliber weapon in term of actual size, but the 9mm is most often compared to the .38 caliber. 9mm rounds come in the following sizes: the 9mm x 18mm Russian, the 9mm x 19mm Parabellum, the 9mm x 21mm Parabellum Magnum, the 9mm x 22mm Parabellum Magnum Plus, the 9mm x 23mm Ultra Parabellum Magnum and the 9mm x 25mm Mauser. the Mauser round is, technically speaking, not a parabellum round. the 9x21 and larger sizes were developed specifically to counter the claims of the lack of range and stopping power of the 9mm. for example the 9x21 seems not much bigger than the standard 9x19 and it's not. the manufacturers actually seat the bullet deeper into the neck of the cartridge and so the para mags can be fire from and will fit any standard pistol or rifle that fires the 9x19. all of the para mags except for the the 9x23 are made in this way. the ultra para mag is just too powerful to be fired from a standard parabellum weapon. the 9x21 could be thought of as a super .38 and was just discussing this last night with fordvg, the vice president of gunslot. the 9x22 and 9x23 are very much more powerful rounds. the 9x23 is as powerful as many .44 short magnums and has similar characteristics and stopping power. our design team held a meeting last night and voted to include an off the shelf 9x21 para mag with the package of the rifles we are designing.
hope this helps some. btw, do not be misled by the claims in wikipedia that the 9x21 para mag has similar characteristics of the standard 9x19. this is not true. the 9x21 is MUCH more powerful. fordvg has actually fired these rounds in competition and can back ryo up on this.

Your new friend,

LittleDragon

Moshi Moshi from LittleDragon

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 869 (0 members and 869 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,639, Comments: 160,795, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity