Let me start with, Im a rookie at best and reaching out to you professionals to help me understand the difference between the xd and xdm other than the m holds a few more rounds.
both inside and out are radically differant.the XDM is a sleaker more user friendly gun, that fits much better in your hand a shoots 10 time smoother than its original model.
XD vs. XDM
the XDM is basically an improved XD. It is only offered in .40 and 9mm though. It will run $100-$200 more than the XD depending on where you get it.
upgrades for XDM:
1. the XDM has a better quality match grade barrel (more accurate)
2. you can change the back strap on the grip for variation in grip size
3. has better recoil system (heavy duty guide rod spring)
4. has striker status indicator (to verify weapon is cocked)- may have this on origional XD, but not certain
5. has a MRT (minimal reset trigger) similar to sig's SRT (short reset trigger)- this is a great improvement for follow up shots.
6. deeper, longer slide grasp serrations for grip
7. more texture on polymer frame for better grip and control.
8. 16 rd. mag vs. 12 rds in the origional service model XD .40
9. As of now, the XDM is only available in .40 and 9mm. I'm pretty sure its only offered in the service frame also (no subcompact)
thanks Reaper, this is some valuable info and I'm looking at 45. I have the subcompact 40 for concealment and really like it quality it has.
The XDM is offered in 9mm to isn't it?
yes it is. Not .45 yet though. I had copied and pasted that from a post that I made when it first came out which was on the XD vs. XDM and only .40 was available at that time. I will update it. thanks for spotting that.
to the spring feild site everything you need to know is closley shown to you in video format. the XDM is much superior but the site will prove that to you.
I just got the XDM9. I love it. Its a little big to carry although i have and its not a problem as its not heavy.. (I have a compact glock 23 (40cal) that I carry most of the time, cause its smaller).
I really like the way it feels and shoots, everything they say about it is true. I have put about 300 rounds through it and not one missfire or jam..
This was my first Springfield and I feel that with all the extras they are giving you in the kit it is well worth the money spent.
It is very easy to take apart and clean and put back together..
I am very impressed.