Forums / Political & Legal / Yeah let's throw $550 million that we don't have at it!

5 years 30 weeks ago, 6:36 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States

Senate OKs $550M to fight drugs, guns along border

The Senate has approved a $550 million package aimed at curbing the flow of drugs, guns and money between the United States and Mexico, Agence France-Presse reports.

The unanimous-consent vote comes a week after the Obama administration unveiled its plan to bolster border security because of the increasing violence along the border.

The legislation includes:

• $260 million to hire, train, equip and deploy 1,600 officers and 400 canine teams to toughen inspections.

• $130 million for 350 full-time Immigration and Customs Enforcement investigators to work on firearm trafficking and money laundering investigations.

• $50 million to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to hire an additional 150 investigators and 50 inspectors to investigate firearms trafficking.

• $20 million to improve field communications between border patrol and immigration authorities.

• $20 million to modernize technology to identify potential criminals at ports of entry.

The Arizona Republic looks at Mexico's strict gun laws and whether U.S. regulations might be tightened as a result of the violence linked to weapons smuggled into Mexico.

At a Senate confirmation hearing today, Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske said that if confirmed as the new drug czar he would help develop and implement a strategy to stem the border violence. Overall, he vowed to take a balanced, science-based approach as director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy.

5 years 30 weeks ago, 11:07 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General

But they want to give illegal immigrants handouts and citizenship......All bullshit.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do
5 years 30 weeks ago, 8:28 AM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
Gil Kerlikowski

Great, more style over substance. He did nothing for Seattle, why on earth do we think he could perform at the national level?

clint

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin & Hobbes)
5 years 30 weeks ago, 12:25 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
I'm much cheaper

I still don't get why the feds don't come to my house and assign me a sector of fire. My area will be secure.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 30 weeks ago, 1:37 AM

BluesHarp

BluesHarp's picture

Lieutenant General

to curb the drug problem. The government is making way too much money on the "war on drugs" for them to ever get a handle on it. They are only lining their pockets with our tax dollars. Why can't they put that money to good use and build that wall. Put in sniper towers, manned by sharp-shooters and dare somebody to try and cross our border. Hire a bunch of gun nuts to man the towers to pick off the illegals, drug runners and terrorists. Put the word out down there...If you want in, you gotta get past all of this.

Go ahead punk, Make My Day!
5 years 30 weeks ago, 3:59 AM

raffycanlas

raffycanlas's picture

General
bluesharp

why wouldnt they hire people with guns to guard the border right? then we would both have jobs we love lol

I'm just another damn yankee with a loaded gun looking for some fun!
5 years 30 weeks ago, 4:26 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
raffy, hire?

Fuck, if they give me a get out of jail free card for actions on the border, I'll provide all my own supplies and do it for free.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 30 weeks ago, 4:47 AM

raffycanlas

raffycanlas's picture

General
runawaygun

hahahahahahaha whenever they give you that, please hire me.

I'm just another damn yankee with a loaded gun looking for some fun!
5 years 30 weeks ago, 6:11 AM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
Sam D

I think the interdiction process from the Federal coordination level went to hell when the Office of National Drug Control Policy was introduced with a F---ing Drug Czar and the National Narcotics Border Interdiction System was dis-established (circa April 1989 (got the T-shirt)). The U.S. never decided to actually inhibit the entry/denial of drugs, by aircraft, vessel or on foot through "military" interdiction/denial to the U.S., or it's territories. That is significant as things have played out politically.
Instead a half-assed detection (military) and interdiction (Federal/State/local Le elements) process was established. OooHhh, plenty of money was spent. "I Think", that the FBI, DEA, USCS (now Customs/Border Patrol(CBP) and Immigration&Customs Enforcement (ICE) and many other Fed Agencies, State & Local LE folks have done a helluva job considering the limitations they have. FYI, for those that didn't know. The Immigration agents in ICE are for enforcement. "Immigration" is the benefit side of the process and it is a part of HQ, Homeland Security. The monies you described for communications and IT upgrades wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket to "secure" their systems. The monies to hire new agents "just for" BATFE to investigate south of the border weapons transfers "in my opinion" is unnecessary. Most of that can be done with computer software and "SW pointers". enough, my head gets foggy with all of that BS.

(You have to look behind all of that outer space stuff)

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 632 (1 member and 631 guests)
nobile157

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,659, Comments: 161,125, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity