WWII FP-45 Liberator Pistol
Originally developed in 1942 for the U.S. Army by the Inland Manufacturing Division
of the General Motors Corporation in Dayton Ohio.
This single-shot, smooth bore .45 calibre pistol had a dubious history.
Intended for mass distribution in enemy occupied territory to incite revolt,
the Army refered to it as a "flare pistol" (FP-45) to ensure secrecy.
The Frigidaire plant at Dayton chambered the rough barrels.
Workers at the Guide Lamp plant in Anderson Indiana assembled
a million of these weapons.
In Europe the Allied commanders deemed the mass distribution impractical,
and very few Liberators were delivered to the resistance forces.
Only Chinese forces received many of these weapons and most of them were destroyed.
Today, a good example is very hard to find.