Home invasion suspect released from hospital

Home invasion suspect released from hospital

Home invasion suspect released from hospital
Comments 20 | Recommend 0
January 21, 2010 10:03 PM
Ana Ley
The Monitor
MISSION — A home invasion suspect was released from a San Antonio hospital nearly a week after an 11-year-old shot him in the neck during a home invasion.

Jose Luis Ortega, 26, received treatment at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, according to a statement issued by the Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office. He will be transported to the Rio Grande Valley for his arraignment hearing today at 10:30 a.m.

Authorities plan to charge Ortega with attempted capital murder and aggravated robbery. Two suspected accomplices in the break-in have already faced the same charges in connection with the incident on Jan. 15.

Fernando Guerrero Padilla, 41, and Jaime Arturo Santana Vasquez, 34, remain at the Hidalgo County Jail in lieu of a $750,000 bond for the two felony charges.

Deputies detained Ortega, Guerrero and Santana after the group allegedly broke down the door of a house near the intersection of Minnesota Road and 8 Mile Line shortly after midnight Thursday.

An 11-year-old boy at the house shot Ortega in the neck as he and another man tried to ransack the family’s house. One of the suspects allegedly shot the child in the groin.

The men fled the scene without taking any property, the boy’s mother said Monday.

Deputies later pulled over a white SUV in which Guerrero and Santana were traveling. The men were detained and they provided corroborating statements implicating Ortega and themselves in the home invasion, according to the probable cause affidavit in the case.

Ortega fled the house on foot and was picked up along Farm-to-Market Road 2221 by a relative, who transported him to an area hospital. He was then transferred to San Antonio, where the nearest top-level trauma centers to the Rio Grande Valley are located.

Hidalgo County Sheriff’s deputies monitored Ortega in San Antonio while he recovered from his injuries.

The 11-year-old boy was treated at an area hospital and was released. His mother said Monday the bullet remains lodged in his right leg.


Ana Ley covers law enforcement and general assignments for The Monitor. She can be reached at (956) 683-4428.

1 Comment

6 years 32 weeks ago, 2:12 AM

Lyle Hutchins 1

Lyle Hutchins 1's picture

Lieutenant General
Join Date:
Feb 2009
Cee-more, Ok., United States

This young man needs more practice!! Some good instruction on bullet placement!! He also needs a 12 ga. shotgun, and # 4 shot.

Lyle Hutchinson
daisycutter's picture
Posted by: daisycutter
7 years 17 weeks ago

Rating Overview

This text will be replaced

Recent Activity